Friday, February 15, 2008

The New Avengers Review


I have to hand to the folks over at Marvel because they have just been churning out books for The New Avengers and none have been a disappointment, minus the odd purple art in that second annual. However, I'm a forgiving man who can overlook questionable art techniques , but enough about my purple problem as I am a fan of the Artist Formally Known as Prince. Considering my fondness of music by men who dress up in clothes that make them look like human popsicles and comic book artwork have nothing to do with one another let's jump into this review.

This issue picks up right where the second annual left off, with Jessica Jones taking her baby and joining The Mighty Avengers and registering with the Initiative program. As you can see from this cover Jones was married to Luke Cage, who also fathered the child she ran off with. Also the Avengers move into a new apartment owned by Iron Fist, but that's all you need to know about the rest of the team because this issue was solely about Jessica and Luke breaking up.

I'll willingly admit that I cannot stand word heavy issues, but this issue hit close to home. I was raised in a single family home as my parents separated when I was very young. Even though they didn't separate out of the fear that I would be attacked by super villains and shape shifting Skrulls who can't be detected, which would have been a cooler reason, but I digress. Brian Michael Bendis brilliantly scripted this issue as Luke Cage sees everything crashing around him in the wake of constant attacks by the Hood and the ongoing hints of a Skrull invasion, Jessica wants him to join her, the baby, and the Mighty Avengers. This would mean Luke giving up everything he stands for when it comes to taking a stand against the fifty state initiative and registering heroes secret identities. The art and dialogue in this issue meld together as you can feel the desire both characters have for their separate beliefs, but just when you think its all about the breakup Bendis shifts gears back to the impending invasion and the sudden delusions of Skrulls in Stark tower return as Luke asks Jessica an interesting question about why she came back......During Civil War Jessica was supposed to take the baby and flee to Canada, but she came back after Captain America died......

This issue only left me with more questions about Skrulls and feeling sorry for Luke Cage, because not only is he without his wife and child but the Avengers are in an utter state of confusion and their still fugitives. If X-Factor and X-Force hadn't tied for my books of the week this one would have gotten the nod. Every Avengers issue has been one twist or surprise after another and if you can get past the extensive dialogue I recommend this book.

The New Avengers #38

Writing-4 out of 5
Art-4 out of 5
Overall- 4 out of 5




Random thoughts from this issue that had no bearing on the review.... Spider-Man is back in his old uniform, and he still takes of his mask around the Avengers (take that Brand New Day). Is it me or is Wolverine in too many damn books? All I'm saying is that Marvel is extending the character into too many stories and at some point people aren't going to be interested in him (other than die-hard fanboys and girls) anymore.

Excelsior Bitches!!

No comments: